A trail begins downtown and proceeds along the Kentucky River through Riverview Park to Cove Spring Park then back downtown via a wooded abandoned rail corridor to complete a 5-mile loop. The Riverwalk is a major attraction for residents and tourists, offering scenic views, historic sites, exercise opportunities, and access to three parks.
- Total length: 5.0 miles
- Hard surface multi-use trail: 2.0 miles
- Crushed stone trail: 2.5 miles
- Shared road: 0.5 miles
- Summer 2008: Frankfort Parks and Recreation widens Riverview Park trail.
- October 2008: City of Frankfort awarded federal Transportation Enhancement funds to build a riverside trail between Liberty Hall and Buffalo Trace Distillery.
- Summer 2009: New walking trails built on west side of Cove Springs Park.
- 2009-10: Volunteers build network of walking trails on north edge of the Buffalo Trace Distillery property. Opening ceremony June 30, 2010.
- Summer 2010: Frankfort Parks and Recreation secures wetlands restoration funding to connect Buffalo Trace and Cove Springs trail.
- Winter 2010-11: Engineering conducted for path between Liberty Hall and Buffalo Trace.
- November 2011: Paving completed between River View Park and Buffalo Trace.
- September 2012: River View Trail dedication.